There has been some excellent research published about goat behaviour and welfare this year. Here is my personal favourite list which I have summarized in an article to complement my book, Goat Behavior, available on Amazon stores.
1. Nawroth, C., Albuquerque, N., Savalli, C., Single, M.-S. and McElligott, A.G. 2018. Goats prefer positive human emotional facial expressions. Royal Society Open Science, 5(8), 180491.
2. Langbein, J., Krause, A. and Nawroth, C. 2018. Human-directed behaviour in goats is not affected by short-term positive handling. Animal Cognition.
3. Briefer, E.F. 2018. Vocal contagion of emotions in non-human animals. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 285(1873), 20172783.
4. Baciadonna, L., Duepjan, S., Briefer, E.F., Padilla de la Torre, M. and Nawroth, C. 2018. Looking on the Bright Side of Livestock Emotions—the Potential of Their Transmission to Promote Positive Welfare. Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 5.
5. Baciadonna, L., Nawroth, C., Briefer, E.F. and McElligott, A.G. 2018. Perceptual lateralisation of vocal stimuli in goats. Current Zoology.
6. Baruzzi, C., Nawroth, C., G. McElligott, A., and Baciadonna, L. 2018. Motor asymmetry in goats during a stepping task. Laterality: Asymmetries of Body, Brain and Cognition, 23(5), 599-609.
7. Langbein, J. 2018. Motor self-regulation in goats (Capra aegagrus hircus) in a detour-reaching task. PeerJ, 6, e5139.
8. Isiaka, M.B. and Moruf, R.O. 2018. Comparative Grazing Behaviour Of West African Dwarf (Wad) And Red Sokoto (Maradi) Goats In Nigeria. Journal of American Science, 14(5).
9. Zobel, G., Freeman, H., Schneider, D., Henderson H., Johnstone, P. and Webster, J. 2018. Behaviour of dairy goats in a natural alpine environment. 52nd Congress of the International Society for Applied Ethology, Prince Edward Island. Poster.
10. Charpentier, A. and Delagarde, R. 2018. Milk production and grazing behaviour responses of Alpine dairy goats to daily access time to pasture or to daily pasture allowance on temperate pastures in spring. Small Ruminant Research, 162, 48–56.
11. Kraai, M. and Shrader, A.M. 2018. How do free-ranging domestic herbivores reduce competition within owner-determined herds? Applied Animal Behaviour Science.
12. Neave, H.W., von Keyserlingk, M.A.G., Weary, D.M. and Zobel, G. 2018. Feed intake and behavior of dairy goats when offered an elevated feed bunk. Journal of Dairy Science.
13. Stachowicz, J.B., Gygax, L., Hillmann, E., Wechsler, B. and Keil, N.M. 2018. Dairy goats use outdoor runs of high quality more regardless of the quality of indoor housing. Applied Animal Behaviour Science.
14. Deeming, L.E., Neave, H.W., Beausoleil, N.J., Stafford, K.J., Webster, J. and Zobel, G. 2018. Changes in lying time after hoof trimming in dairy goats. 52nd Congress of the International Society for Applied Ethology, Prince Edward Island. Poster.
15. Hempstead, M.N., Waas, J.R., Stewart, M., Cave, V.M. and Sutherland, M.A. 2018. Evaluation of alternatives to cautery disbudding of dairy goat kids using behavioural measures of post-treatment pain. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 206, 32–38.
16. Iyasere, O.S., James, I.J., Williams, T.J., Daramola, J.O., Lawal, K.O., Oke, O.E. and Iyasere, E. 2018. Behavioural and physiological responses of West African Dwarf Goat dams and kids subjected to short-term separation. Agricultura Tropica et Subtropica, 51(1), 5–11.
17. Harwood, D., Mueller, K. and Mueller, K. 2018. Goat Medicine and Surgery. CRC Press.